Mission San Antonio de Valero (today known as “The Alamo”) is secularized by decree.
Construction of First Baptist Church is begun.
Two cornerstones are laid for the new First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Avenue D and Fourth Street. The first stone set was the one that marked the date of the original church at Houston and Flores Street in 1860. The other stone marks the beginning of the new structure that will cost nearly $90,000 and will be one of the finest edifices in the entire Southwest.