Demolition begins on the Jefferson Hotel at the corner of E. Houston and Jefferson streets. The property will become a surface parking lot which will be leased to Allright Parking, Inc. The Jefferson Hotel was constructed in 1879 as the Bexar Hotel, which was considered one of the finest in the city at the turn of the century. All but the street level of the hotel has been condemned since 1946. The demolition will force five businesses to find new locations: Parisian Ladies’ Shop, Kay’s Fine Linens, Allen Shoes, the Jefferson Café and Russell Stover Candies.
The Plaza Theater opens on Alamo Plaza.
The Wolfson Building at Main and Commerce burns for a second time (the first being January 24, 1904) and is completely destroyed (right). Flames also damage the first seven floors of the adjacent Riverview Towers.