Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Events & News

«August 2016»
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
311

August 1 in San Antonio history…

1945
The San Antonio Public Library purchases a rare first edition King James Bible and other rare books with money donated by the estate of Harry Hertzberg.

Read more
23

August 3 in San Antonio history…

1974
Elvis Presley has scheduled a San Antonio concert for October 8 at the Convention Center Arena.

Read more
4

August 4 in San Antonio history…

1886
The heat during the past few days has been intense and many citizens have been overcome by it. Care in exposure and drinking is necessary to avoid danger.

Read more
5

August 5 in San Antonio history…

1922
San Antonio’s first radio station (WJAE) begins broadcasting, but lasts only a few months.

Read more
6

August 6 in San Antonio history…

1893
Concluding events of the jubilee celebration at St. Mary’s College were held on the college grounds. A concert, directed by H. Gaudin, was on the program.

Read more
7

August 7 in San Antonio history…

1953
Contributions totaling $8,000 for improvement work at San Jose Mission were assured today.

Read more
8

August 8 in San Antonio history…

1934
Scores of striking pecan shellers menaced with stones and sticks the manager of a San Antonio pecan-shelling company.  The manager stayed the crowd by brandishing a pistol until police arrived.

Read more
9

August 9 in San Antonio history…

1898
The pictures of some of San Antonio’s prominent citizens will be shown in Riverside Park in the Edison picture machine, as well as others, among which is the Battleship Texas.

Read more
10

August 10 in San Antonio history…

1936
County Clerk George Surkey said today that so many people are getting married while drunk that he would issue no marriage licenses after 5 p.m. daily and none on Sundays unless he personally knows the applicants.

Read more
11

August 11 in San Antonio history…

1906
The school board has ruled that starting this fall, the high school course will be lengthened from three to four years.  The additional time is considered necessary to master the difficult courses.

Read more
12

August 12 in San Antonio history…

1915
Police cars were equipped with sirens similar to those used by the fire department. They were to be used only while the cars were responding to emergency calls.

Read more
13

August 13 in San Antonio history…

1928
Before the end of the week the city expects to own all of the land necessary for the right-of-way of the crosstown flood prevention channel.  The channel will run from the back of the Public Service Company across Commerce, Market and Dolorosa, connecting with the river again in the rear of the Plaza Hotel.

Read more
14

August 14 in San Antonio history…

1895
Ground is broken for the main building of Our Lady of the Lake Academy.  Originally, the name was to be “St. Mary’s of the Lake” but Bishop Forest persuaded Mother Florence that there were so many St. Mary’s in San Antonio that another name might be more appropriate.  With that, the name was changed to Our Lady of the Lake.

Read more
15

August 15 in San Antonio history…

1945
While people took to the streets to celebrate Japan’s acceptance of surrender terms, effectively ending World War II, burglars ransacked houses and apartments left vacant by celebrants. A total of $425 in cash and numerous articles were reported missing.

Read more
1617

August 17 in San Antonio history…

1955
World War II war hero Audie Murphy is in San Antonio for the world premiere of his autobiographical movie, “To Hell and Back,” at the Majestic today.

Read more
1819

August 19 in San Antonio history…

1935
Mayor C. K. Quin Monday ordered a series of mural paintings taken from the walls of the foyer of the Municipal Auditorium, after their presence was protested by the American Legion Central Council of Bexar County. The paintings by Xavier Gonzales, were criticized for containing hidden Communist symbols.

Read more
20

August 20 in San Antonio history…

1918
Married women will hereafter be permitted to secure positions to public schools of the city as the result of the action taken today at a meeting of the San Antonio School Board.  The action was taken as a “war time necessity” with the provision that each applicant be passed upon individually.

Read more
21

August 21 in San Antonio history…

1927
With approximately 100 artesian wells pumping hundreds of thousands of gallons of water daily, it is only a matter of time until the San Antonio River dries up, acting Mayor Phil Wright declared today.

Read more
2223

August 23 in San Antonio history…

1902
J.A. Berry, foreman on the work at the Carnegie Library, celebrated arrival of his first-born son yesterday afternoon. When the quit work whistle blew, Berry assembled the workmen in the main buildings where a copious spread of beer and lunch was served.

Read more
24

August 24 in San Antonio history…

1858
Vance & Bros. give one lot of land, for the erection of an Episcopal place of worship, to St. Mark’s congregation. Mr. S. A. Maverick also donates four city lots for church purposes.

Read more
25

August 25 in San Antonio history…

1926
Installation of the flood gates in the Olmos creek dam north of the city was begun today, assuring San Antonio permanent protection from floods.

Read more
26

August 26 in San Antonio history…

1936
The city’s first parking meters arrive and are installed.

Read more
27

August 27 in San Antonio history…

1891
Since the passing of the ordinance on August 4, there are now 16 licensed “bawdy houses” or brothels in the city.

Read more
28

August 28 in San Antonio history…

1874
Pope Pius IX creates the San Antonio Catholic diocese as part of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

Read more
29

August 29 in San Antonio history…

1929
Studer Camera Company is established by Ben Studer in a small building on the front of a lot at 2118 Main Avenue.

Read more
30

August 30 in San Antonio history…

1856
The San Antonio Herald, a weekly newspaper, published by J. M. West  & J. P. Newcomb, ceases publication.

Read more
31123

September 3 in San Antonio history…

1926
Municipal Auditorium is dedicated as a memorial to the city’s WWI dead.

Read more
4

September 4 in San Antonio history

1932
San Antonio switches over to the dial telephone system. Telephone exchanges change from Crockett, Travis, Mission and Woodlawn to Belmont, Cathedral, Fannin, Garfield, Kenwood, Lambert, Parkview and Pershing.

Read more
567

September 7 in San Antonio history…

1921
Rain began falling in San Antonio and would continue for three days leading to widespread flooding, killing 51 people and causing millions of dollars in damages. The flood was caused by some of the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in Texas. The immense amount of rain quickly overwhelmed the the San Antonio River. Most of the victims were trapped in their cars by the surprise flood and drowned. Five to 10 feet of water submerged the city’s streets, delaying an evacuation. The city was underwater for nearly a week following the flood, which was responsible for at least $5 million in damages. In the aftermath, San Antonio embarked on a 10-year overhaul of its flood system.

Read more
8910

Categories

Tags

16901 17162 17183 17201 17211 17232 17302 17319 17382 17933 17951 18113 18134 18202 18221 18313 18331 18356 183614 18375 18385 18391 18404 18452 18461 18491 18512 18522 18532 18541 18567 18576 18581 18593 18603 18615 18652 18663 18677 18688 18695 18702 18722 18735 18745 18754 18762 18777 18781 18793 18805 18817 18822 188311 188415 188512 188620 18879 18883 188914 18906 189113 18926 18933 189411 189512 189614 18977 18985 189910 190013 19018 190210 19037 19048 190514 190613 19079 190810 190920 191012 19118 191212 191317 191417 191512 191627 1917258 1918316 19194 19209 19218 192221 192314 192419 192516 192635 192734 192820 192931 193024 19315 193224 193312 193413 193515 193631 193722 193834 193919 194024 194127 194221 1942 19541 194315 194419 194526 1945 19561 194640 194721 194812 194930 195015 19516 19529 195318 195432 195543 195645 195736 195823 195916 196041 196111 196214 196342 196415 196519 196631 196711 196863 196925 197022 197125 197227 197331 197425 197527 197637 197736 197840 197932 198037 198125 198231 198335 198421 198542 198631 198731 198821 198910 199018 199110 199223 199324 199413 199519 19969 19978 19989 199914 20006 20014 200214 20038 200410 20055 200612 200710 20086 20097 20107 201113 20123 20134 20146 20154 20163 20171 44 BC1 AlamoBowl1 Battle of Flowers2 Carol Burnett1 Central Library2 Every Child Ready to Read4 fairy tales2 Fatal Corner1 Ghost Tracks1 Hemisfair '681 Henry B. Gonzales1 Ira Attebury1 Jim Croce1 Little Read Wagon3 Millers Pond1 Movies by Moonlight1 Northridge Park1 play and learn3 Queen1 Remind1 segregation1 Shah of Iran1 snow1 Soundgarden1 Spurs3 SRV1 Star Wars Holiday Special1 Taco Cabana1 teacher workshops2 UTSA1 WII2 World War I5 WWI476 WWI 19771 WWII1

News & Announcements

Igo Library Senior Group “Elderberries” to host UT Health Science Center

Dr. Sara Espinoza will discuss the topics of aging and longevity research

What: A discussion on aging and longevity studies, clinical trials, and a Q&A with UT Health Science Center Dr. Sara Espinoza.
When: 2 – 4 p.m., Thursday, September 1, 2016
Where: Igo Branch Library, 13330 Kyle Seale Pkwy., 78249

August 31 in San Antonio history…

1731
Ignacia Agustina Munoz y Morillo is the first recorded baptism in the parish of San Fernando.

August 30 in San Antonio history…

1856
The San Antonio Herald, a weekly newspaper, published by J. M. West  & J. P. Newcomb, ceases publication.

August 29 in San Antonio history…

1929
Studer Camera Company is established by Ben Studer in a small building on the front of a lot at 2118 Main Avenue.

August 28 in San Antonio history…

1874
Pope Pius IX creates the San Antonio Catholic diocese as part of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

RSS
12345678